Saturday 7 July 2012

I have a choice

THIS IS NOT A COMPLETE ACCOUNT OF THE THERAPY BUT MORE MY PERSONAL OPINIONS AND THINKING

I am currently attending a CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) group as part of my treatment for depression.  I have completed a few groups now and as many of my issues are interlinked as are many of the learning points from the groups.

The group is on Assertiveness.

So two sessions in, what have I learned?


  • There are 7.1 billion people in the world according to National Geographic and we all behave similarly
  • There are 4 main behaviours Assertive, Passive, In direct and Aggressive
  • I frequent to the Passive group, I think.  
Especially round my family, a perfect example is taking on everyone's worries and problems.  This group was described as similar to Doormats - everyone just walks all over them.  It's funny though how you accept certain demands/behaviour from family but would be damned if you would take it from others!

Guilt was touched upon again in group. Guilt is a major driving force for me, it lurks around every corner, every thought and decision, guilt is there waiting to pounce.  So if I am ever going to change things I need to work on this guilt I carry around with me.

But my massive break through, my Aha moment was
I have a choice in every situation.  
Every situation can be managed very simply by either Accepting, or Changing.  Easy right?
Well they aren't that silly, life can be hard going but you can learn to accept it or you can change it.  A good philosophy I say!


So ACCEPT or CHANGE - what would you choose?

Love Mrs Brown xx
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment